> Ryan,
>
> I have run into a similar problem with one of the
> sites I'm designing.
> Here's the approach I took. You can see if it fits
> your needs.
>
> Here's an example of
> what I have:
>
> MID  NAME        PARENT_ID  LOCATION
> 1    Home        <null>     index.php
> 2    Products    <null>     products.php
> 3    Information <null>     info.php
> 10   Profile     1          profile.php
> 11   Account     1          account.php
> 20   Hardware    2          hardware.php
> 21   Software    2          software.php
> 210  M$ Word     21         msword.php
> 211  iLife       21         ilife.php
>
> And I think you get the drift.
> You can keep getting deeper in the
> tree structure and not have to worry about adding
> more tables.
>
> Notice that the menu_item_id (MID) actually has some
> organization to
> it, but this is completely optional. As the menu
> items grow, this will
> probably be more difficult to keep track of. Anyway,
> hope that helps!

@Phillip,
Thanks for replying.

Because (like you pointed out) the MID can get a
little crazy I was thinking of using two tables, one
for parent and the other for the children.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, I am using
a p_position (parent position) and c_position (child)
for each of the menu items, that way I can do a ORDER
BY in my query and it should still look good and
changing positions shouldnt be a problem (ask anyone
who's married, being flexable in changing positions is
VERY important :-D )
Doing an ORDER BY on two tables in also a bit more
simple than one (IMHO, feel free to correct me)

I really appreciate your input on this as I am in the
theory stage while you have actually made something
like this, thanks again.

@K. Bear - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out as
soon as i get a little time.

Cheers!
Ryan

------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)