[snip]
did the execute actually succeed? does the data get into the DB if you
use OCI_COMMIT_ON_SUCCESS instead of OCI_DEFAULT?

I don't support using oci_internal_debug() gives you any extra info?
[/snip]

I finally did an oci_bind_by_name and then performed the commit. It
worked.  Oci_internal_debug gave me nada at that point. The reason for
using OCI_DEFAULT was so that I could perform a kind of bulk update and
check before committing. oci_commit_on_success would have committed each
time the update was performed and it seems that would have cost more
overhead.