Peter Lauri wrote:
Probably nobody, as PHP is a Server Side Scripting Language.

If there's one thing I hate it's needless pigeonholing. PHP is not a "Server Side Scripting Language". It is a scripting language for sure, but is by no means limited to being used on a server never mind on a web server.

As to the OPs question, assuming you are aware that PHP cannot control anything on the client-side if used on a web server, and assuming you are talking about a Windows-based machine, you will probably find there are COM objects you can use to control scanners. From the PHP side check here: http://php.net/com. For the actual interface to scanners I suggest you Google.

Sounds like a fun project, enjoy.

-Stut