[snip]
thanks for the response, i can see how this works  (i think) for basic
authentication with user input,but what i really need is to actually
retrieve the logged on user name after a user has logged into windows.
i.e.  the user name that the http client passes to the apache mod has
been captured not from user input, but from say a piece of code that
picks up the user name when the user logs in.

Probably less to do with php now that i come to think of it, but thanks
anyway.
[/snip]

Ah...I see now. Several have asked this question, let me rephrase and
see if this makes better sense....

How can one capture the login user name from a Windows logon? ASP can do
it, but can it be done with PHP as one would do with PHP_AUTH_USER?

IIRC I don't think that it is possible with PHP.