Ray Hauge wrote:
I keep hearing about XUL, and I was wondering what the opinion of the masses was on this subject for an internal application where the browser is pre-determined.

From my point of view I, having only read about it and not used it, is that XUL would make your applications look more like a desktop application. Some of the widgets they provide come in handy, like tables that can sort themselves instead of using AJAX/another page hit. The down sides that I see is there would be a 99.999% chance of a learning curve for any new developers that come into the company. Also, I'm not sure if XUL would cause extra programming overhead than regular HTML/JS.

XUL definitely contains a huge learning overhead plus a lot of getting used to. In Firefox, at least, XUL is very difficult to debug and has given me a lot of headaches. On the other hand, you can do far, FAR more with it than with Javascript, including reading and writing to local files and altering the browser itself. If you want to release an extension for Firefox, you'll have a lot more freedom with XUL if you can get over the initial hump and your program won't necessarily be *too* big.

--Daniel

--
Sparse - a new way to write MySQL-based programs with little to no actual programming. Save yourself time and effort!
http://sparse-php.sourceforge.net/