Hello PHP'ers

I am having a problem with string delimiters. For some reason no matter what I do I
can not get them to process correctly!!
For example,

<?
$area_entered = "yes";
$date_entered = "no";
echo "$area_entered\t\t\t$date_entered<br>";
?>
That outputs:
yes no

What am I doing wrong?! Is there something I need to set in the php.ini file? I would
like to be able to type \n instead of <br> repeatidly!

Do you see this output in a browser window?
If you does, then never mind.
Browsers are allowed to change the look of your  HTML source in a  way that replacing
multiple whitespaces with a single space
(i really don't know they are allowed to...)
So it's a HTML stuff. maybe you can nest your output into a <pre></pre>. This tag
handles \n \t and other HTML tags also.