Jochem Maas wrote:
Scott Heinrichs wrote:
Hello all,

This is the first time I have posted an issue to this forum, so please
excuse in noob questions or statement. I am trying to create a table
from a string that created by a DESCRIBE TABLE query... this is the
generated string:

CREATE TABLE 'users' ( 'username' varchar(120) NOT NULL primary key,
'password' varchar(64) NOT NULL, 'level' int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'
)

then I use the statement:

$db is a PEAR DB object that has been set up with my database access
info and connects to MYSQL.
$stmt = above create string.

$db->query ( $stmt );

for some reason it is not creating the desired table.

Im sure the $db object has some error related methods that will give some
information
as to the problem.

some ideas:

1. your using transaction and not commiting after the query
2. the user you connect as doesn't have 'create table' permissions
3. $stmt doesn't contain what you think it does.
4. the SQL is invalid (doesn't look like it though.)

no.2 seems most likely.

Can anyone give
me a solution or a reason why the above situation would not work. Just
to clarify that my Database info is correct I was able to generate the
create string from a DESCRIBE TABLE query so the connection works and
is valid and I have CREATE rights.

Ok... I can log in to the mysql padmin and create a table using the same connection info. I am assuming this would mean that I should have create rights when I connect through my script. I am not 100% on this and I am unable to find out what my GRANT rights are at least not in a timely fashion. My script currently checks for errors and it is not generating any....

$result = $this->db->query( $stmt );
       unset( $stmt );
       if ( PEAR::isError($result) )
       {
           $this->hasError = true;
           $this->errorCount++;
array_push ( $this->errorMessage, "Error: Unable to create Table in Database" );
           return false;
       }

This is a snippet from my code.... It should catch the error. When I run the script no error is generated. Is there a better or more reliable way to write SQL syntax for creating a table then the one I am using... here it is again:

CREATE TABLE 'users' ( 'username' varchar(120) NOT NULL primary key,
'password' varchar(64) NOT NULL, 'level' int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'
)

The above line was captured from an ECHO of the $stmt variable so I know the
$stmt is what I expect it to be.

I know that I am not using transactions.