Richard Lynch wrote:

Given the number of posts here in PHP-General alone, of people getting
tripped up by these things, I have concluded that cramming images into
the DB is far more trouble than it is worth.

It *seems* like a Good Idea until you actually do it for awhile, and
then run into all these snags.

Oddly enough, I have never run into them. Nor has terraserver which stores
hundreds of thousands of images in its db, although not mysql.

You may well have the needed skill set.

Alas, the sheer number of problem posts here would indicate that that
skillset is not the norm.

I'll stop advising against images in the DB when you answer all the
posts here from the problems it causes. :-)

Given the right database, then posting raw data to it is not a problem. I would not classify MySQL as one that one would use or that.

Personally I still use the rather crude database called Windows to store binary data and live with the backup and crash problems that involves. Simply because the customers have insisted, and signed to accept that they know the problems - even after showing how much more stable Linux is for the server!

At the end of the day, binary data is stored on the disk. Whether it is stored in a 'proper' BLOB page set with an id in the related record or direct on the disk with the file name in the record, it still has to be accessed from the disk in order to use it. None of the existing OS/Database options provide the ideal solution and it is that which needs fixing :) - perhaps in another 100 years when Windows has been replaced with a real operating system ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL