Wouldn't this:
$id = mysql_insert_id();
$query = "UPDATE tablename SET id=" . ($id + 1);
$result = mysql_query($query);
Be a little simpler.
But like I said, I'm confused over the need for this in the first place,
seeing as how an "auto_incremented" primary key is self-descriptive.  or are
you saving this somewhere else in the DB?

On 7/19/06, chris smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/19/06, Renne Rocha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   I am using the ADODB class to connect to a MySQL server. I am trying
> to generate an ID with the method GenID(), but when I tried this:
>
>   $id = $db->GenID('table');
>
>   The value of $id is equal to zero. I know that MySQL doesn't use
> sequences like PostgreSQL does (I've used this code in a PostgreSQL
> project), but in the documentation of ADODB I saw that it is possible
> to use it. Is there any trick about how to make it work?

You'll need to insert a value into the table first, then you can do:

$query = "UPDATE tablename SET id=LAST_INSERT_ID(id+1)";
$result = mysql_query($query);
$id = mysql_insert_id();

This is in the mysql docs somewhere...

--