Please reply to the list.

jekillen wrote:

On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:31 AM, John Nichel wrote:

We're looking to hire an entry level php programmer here, and I've been tasked with writing the test to evaluate the potential candidates. Being the lazy guy that I am, I naturally turned to Google to see if I could find some tests that I could use. After clicking thru many links, and finding mostly 'basic php tutorials', I've come here to ask you people to do my homework for me. ;) Does anyone have any links/resources for a basic php knowledge test? If not, I'll have to write one from scratch myself, and mess up the rest of my day of goofing off/sleeping.

What does $_POST['x'] mean?
What does $ in front of a string of chars without quotes mean?
That does register globals mean?
Is it possible to run php as a cgi script?
When it is necessary to use 'var' in php
code?
If you can't answer these questions how are you going to
know if someone is giving you the right answers?
There are tons of basic to advance books on the
commercial market about php.
I've gone the distance and shelled out literally 1,000 of
dollars buying books and hours learning the stuff. If you want answers
to your questions spend a little time so you will know if
someone has passed a test or not.

I've spent the past 8+ years 'going the distance' in PHP (quite a bit longer when you count in things like Perl, PASCAL, COBOL, etc), and shelled out about $25 on one PHP book. The web is a far better, cheaper, and more up-to-date learning source. However, I'm a geek, not some college kid who writes up documents so that HR can have a pretty piece of paper saying this guy knows the difference between '==' and '==='.

--
John C. Nichel IV
Programmer/System Admin (ÜberGeek)