At 1:51 PM +0200 7/20/06, nicolas figaro wrote:
>IMHO, the best is to generate a timestamp using mktime for each date.
>you can the calculate the difference of timestamps and convert it back using
>date.
>
>$tm_start = mktime(substr($start,0,2),substr($start,3,2), substr($start,5,2));
>$tm_finish = mktime(substr($finish,0,2),substr($finish,3,2),
>substr($finish,5,2));
>
>$tm_diff = $tm_finish -tm_start;
>
>print date("H:i",$tm_diff);
>
>I don't know if date accepts negative timestamps, so be sure $finish is later
>than $start
>(you can also put the day in case $finish = "00:00:12" and $start
>="15:00:00").
>
>hope this'll help
>
>N F

NF:

Not quite.

Your:

   substr($start,5,2)

should be:

   substr($start,6,2)

Your:

   $tm_diff = $tm_finish -tm_start;

Should be:

   $tm_diff = $tm_finish - $tm_start;

And lastly,

   print date("H:i",$tm_diff);

Doesn't print the hours and seconds that have elapsed.

I thought that php had a function where you could send it a number of seconds
and it would return the number of years, months, days, hours and seconds, but I
couldn't find any. But, date() doesn't.

tedd