Hi gang:

Why does starting my php script with --

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

-- stop it from running?

I would like to use php in a page, but the page has to begin with a xml declaration to generate a quirksmode for IE6 and under while permitting IE7 to be left in standards mode.

We've tried it in both Wordpress and Textpattern and both are php and neither are able to parse a document with an xml declaration above the header.

Is this problem solvable? I've been told that better minds have already tried and failed to resolve this issue.

So, what say you group?

Thanks in advance for any replies, comments, explanations, or solutions.

tedd
--
-------