> You mean we should all be happy that so much choice is available!

I agree with Rob! I am a botanist. I have never been trained in Computer
Science, as far as "industry" is concerned, I am not qualified to turn
on a PC. Fortunately for me, I am also a geek. My PHP experiences
started when running experiments in my wet labs, monitoring seaweed
growth. If PHP did not allow me to get away with writing "newbie" (read
bad) code, I would have given up and just done it the old way that
botanists have been doing it for centuries.

PHP gave me that freedom to start, and as a result, I now am a
reasonably decent PHP developer, and run a collaborative network in 16
(and growing) African countries working on a PHP framework that I
designed and wrote. Go figure.

Choice is that important. If I had started with JDBC or a Java based way
of doing things, this stuff would have never happened. Frameworks are
not only pieces of software, but create communities of like minded
people. They also build skills (and business opportunities) as ours
does. If there were no choice, we would all be VB style drones with no
creativity and no forward movement.

Please direct flames to file 13.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm