On Thu, August 3, 2006 4:27 pm, tedd wrote:
> At 2:23 PM -0500 8/3/06, Richard Lynch wrote:
>>Note that the number of zip codes is around 60K in the TIGER data,
>> and
>>there have been a whole mess of zip codes added since then.
>

> Can you get the postal code by themselves? The last time I looked at
> TIGER data it was in quadrants of around the size of approximately a
> township (6 x 6 miles).

I just loaded in the Zips table and ignored the other ones I didn't
need...

You have to download the whole thing, but don't have to suck it all
into your DB.

I forget what all I went through to import it, many years ago...

After that, any application I write that needs the zip code stuff just
uses the other DB to get it, or if it's on another server, does the
occasional lookup through an HTTP request -- Since I cache the
long/lat on the local table anyway, it only does a lookup when
somebody's zip code changes, so that's pretty infrequent for my usage.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm