1. assign a 'page' a 'friendly url' - this is probably done in your CMS

2. write a routine that will generate a 'friendly url' for a given 'page' in
your cms;
   this allows you to stick the 'friendly urls' in a menu for instance.

3. write a routine for taking any given url and trying to match it against
   a 'page' in your CMS (let it return the page data and/or id if successful)

4. setup your webserver to redirect non-existent urls to a handler script that
   will use the routine from 3 to try and find the correct page. sticking to
apache
   this can be done in at least 2 ways:

        a, use mod_rewrite - to which I can only say RTFM ;-)
        b, use the ErrorDocument directive, which would look something like:

                ErrorDocument 404 /myhandler.php

5. write a 'handler script' as mentioned in 4. if your are using "ErrorDocument"
you will need to output a 'Status: 200' header if your handler finds a page
matching the
requested url.

6.  do var_dump($_REQUEST, $_SERVER) in your 'handler script' to find out
exactly
what info you have to play with - you should be able to find everything you
need.