At 5:36 PM +0100 9/11/06, Stut wrote:
tedd wrote:
Opinions?

I would have to agree. Having watched the server CPU load while playing with this test script it would appear that the performance can be skewed a lot more by that than by the method you use for squidging out the output.

As a curiosity I've also added a test using <?php print $x; ?> and bizarrely that appears to be slightly faster than <?=$x?>.

Weird.

My guess would be that it's in the interpreter -- the look-up for "<?" as compared to "<?php" may be delayed because of checking for the short-tag option-on, or something similar. But, I admittedly don't know.

However, I strongly suspect that drawing to the screen will take longer than executing any "=" or "print" statement anyway. So regardless of the time saved in computation, the delivery would appear identical. It reminds me of the "hurry-up and wait" saying we had in the Army some 50 years back.

tedd
--
-------