Depending on what you mean by "how many months", this could work too.

$months = (strtotime($time2) - strtotime($time1)) / (60*60*24*30)

That is, the number of seconds between those two dates divided by the number
of seconds in a month (where month is normalized to 30 days).  That may or
may not be an acceptable normalization for what you're doing.

Cheers.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson