The single pipe | is bitwise OR, yes.  You're probably thinking of this
construct:

a = b || c

Which is a valid and common default-value idiom in Python and Javascript, but
I don't think works in PHP.  (If it does, someone please correct me because
I'd like to use it. <g>)

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:05, Jason Karns wrote:
> I once saw the use of OR (|) in assignment.

> Does this use bitwise OR? I'm trying to see if I could use the above
> expression in place of:
>
> $x = is_null($y) ? $z : $y;
>
> Jason Karns

Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson