On 29 Sep 2006, at 08:24 , tedd wrote:
At 2:53 AM -0600 9/29/06, Google Kreme wrote:
I also prefer to put custom php directives into htaccess, but that's probably just my personal preference.

I agree, I just found several uses for .htaccess that I can not live without -- it's great.

What references would you recommend?

Well, I've really just used the apache docs, myself.

I've had quite a lot of fun getting pages looking a certain way with no html code (using htaccess to customize the index page).

For example, on my intranet web server I have some episode summaries for a few TV shows, and the .htacess for the root folder of those summaries is:

Options All MultiViews
IndexOptions +IconsAreLinks +IconHeight=12 +IconWidth=12 +NameWidth=* +ScanHTMLTitles +SuppressLastModified +SuppressSize
IndexOrderDefault  Descending Name
HeaderName header.html
IndexIgnore header.html

The combination of the custom header and having just a name and description means most people don't even realize it's an index page. +ScanHTMLTitles means that each episode's title shows up in the index page automatically without my having to AddDescription manually for each one.

And that's all before even thinking about adding php code to the htaccess file.

But, this is OT to the list.

--
A: You can never go too far. B: If I'm gonna get busted, it is *not* gonna be by a guy like *that*.