Richard Lynch wrote:
$curly = '{';
echo "$curly$var1: $var2}";

Horrendous workaround.

Google Kreme wrote:
> On 05 Oct 2006, at 11:37 , Chris Shiflett wrote:
>> Google Kreme wrote:
>>> So what is "{{$var1} : {$var2}}"
>>
>> Within a quoted string, you can surround variable names with braces for
>> clarity. This is especially helpful for situations like this, where the
>> rest of the string interferes with syntax.
>
> Heh.  It was a rhetorical question.  He said there was no way to escape
> the {'s
>
> Of course there is... that was my point.
I suggest you bring yourself up to speed on what escaping really means.
Your suggestion under no circumstances escaping.

Actually, PHP Documentation does mention it:
"Since you can't escape '{', this syntax...."

See here(thanks go John Wells for posting about it):
http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.parsing.complex

Now you may go on a rampage about what escaping means, but honestly, I
don't want to hear about it.

Richard Lynch wrote:
> The whole thing with {} inside a string has always struck me as a
> total hack to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place, and
> I can never get it to do what I want.
>
> "Don't use it" is my solution.
>
> :-)
Bingo. That is what I am trying to do. But I am not allowed since there
is no escaping for this thing.

Thanks all for the replies. My intention was to bring to light YA PHP
design problem. Looks to me like I didn't really succeed, but at least
it's out.

Regards