On 12 Oct 2006, at 11:10 , Bauer, Jay W wrote:
 Again if someone is using this oci8.persistent_timeout they are using
it because they want a way of controlling how long these connections
stay around.

Well, are they really?

I would think they are using it to free up idle connections for use with new connections. That seems reasonable. And they are saying, "Even if a connection appears to be idle right now, I only want it considered idle if there's been no activity in x seconds".

I can see how it's not what you expected, but it still seems reasonable.

Look at it this way, there's no point checking if an idle connection needs to be closed unless the idle connection is needed elsewhere.

--
Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the kings don't expect them to be.