On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:06:26 -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 17:22 +0200, Ivo F.A.C. Fokkema wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:04:35 +0200, Fourat Zouari wrote:
>>
>> > I have PHP/PostgreSQL application were i got a search page with some items
>> > to search, am building the search query on server side.
>> >
>> > I need to display a paginated search and for this i need to get the total
>> > count of lines matching the search before OFFSET/LIMITing my page, am i
>> > obliged to repeat the query twice ??? first to get the total count, second
>> > to get my page.
>> >
>> > it's very heavy
>> >
>> > Any one's suggesting better doing ?
>>
>> As far as I know, this is the only way. The first query, you don't need to
>> sort your data though, and you might be able to drop a join, depending on
>> whether or not you use the joined table in your WHERE clause.
>>
>> But I think due to caching the database will not take a long time for the
>> second query, since it just recently had (almost) the same query - YMMV.
>
> Hell no, don't use the same query twice. Use a count in the first query
> that only returns 1 row... the count. The second query can return the
> records (which may be less than the count returns since you're paging).

There must have been a reason why I started doing this... I used to use
COUNT(*) first too, then run the full query but somehow this must have not
worked for me when searching though a complex set of JOIN'ed tables or
so... after which I have my query builder run the query first without
the order clause. I'm going to look into this, see if I can track that
down.

But you're right, I should've mentioned that in his case a COUNT(*)
could've been possible, since I didn't know his table structure or query.

Ivo