# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2006-10-24 17:58:45 +1000:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> ># [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2006-10-23 16:34:16 +0100:
> >>It looks to me as if you are trying to use web scripting (PHP) to do the
> >>sysadmin on your server, for which other methods are more suitable.
> >
> >    Those would be? What makes PHP unsuitable for non-web programming?
>
> I think the point was php doesn't *need* to be used for everything - use
> the best tool for the job.

    IMO the post I argued was equating PHP with web scripting which is
    something else from what you're saying. Besides that you're right of
    course. It's just that I can see how PHP could be the best tool for
    this job: if your only tool is a hammer...

> mysqldump is provided on the system and doesn't need to be called
> through php - what's the point of doing it that way?

    You might want to have some logic around the mysqldump. I would
    write such things in a combination of POSIX sh and make, but that's
    just my taste.

> I use php for non-web programming at times when I can't find something
> else to do what I want.. most of the time though there's a tool already
> out there somewhere that does exactly what I want already (for sys admin
> tasks).

    Lucky! ;)

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.