Thanks to all the suggestions I received on this issue.

I have tried running PHP as an Apache module. As Jochem mentioned, this
restricts the startup delay to just when Apache starts, not with each
request - which is a great improvement.

I have also set the various configuration options in the VirtualHost
directives so my requirement for separate php.ini files has been removed.

There is one remaining issue though - how to get my PHP scripts to run under
different usernames for each virtual host. I need my PHP scripts to run as
specfic users as they need to interact with the filesystem. I am using
suExec and have set the SuexecUserGroup directive for each virtual host, but
this isn't used as PHP is not called by CGI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Edward