touch /var/mysql/mysql.sock
chmod 777 /var/mysql/mysql.sock

On 11/14/06, James Tu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm running a php script from the command line (I'm on OS X) and I'm
getting ...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Here's the script (this just tests a connection and a query...the
actual script imports data from text files):

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php

echo "HELLO WORLD\n";
$connection = mysql_connect(HOST, ID, PW);
mysql_select_db(DB, $connection);
$result = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) as num_of_countries from
geo_entities");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
print_r($row);

?>

I tested the script from a browser and the connection and query worked.
Do I have to do something special in order for PHP CLI to connect to
MySQL?

-James