brian debottari (sin7) wrote:
> I have a site that does the following:
>
> You fill out a form with client info, click process, it moves to another
> page that calls a few php functions i wrote (sending client welcome
> email, adding client details to database and a few other things). What I
> want the page to do is delay some of the content that gets displayed on
> the php. the only way i've been able to do this is with a javascript
> using setTimeout. I know this isn't a javascript list but here is my
> javascript so you have a better idea what I'm trying to do:
>
> --- start code ---
>
> <SCRIPT Language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
> <!--
>
> function timeout() {
> setTimeout("replace()",2000);
> setTimeout("replace2()",3000);
> setTimeout("replace3()",5000);
> setTimeout("replace4()",5500);
> }
>
> function replace() {
> timed_text = document.getElementById("repl").firstChild.nodeValue;
> document.getElementById("repl").firstChild.nodeValue=timed_text + " Done.";
> }
> function replace2() {
> timed_text2 = document.getElementById("repl2").firstChild.nodeValue;
> document.getElementById("repl2").firstChild.nodeValue=timed_text2 + "
> Done.";
> }
> function replace3() {
> timed_text3 = document.getElementById("repl3").firstChild.nodeValue;
> document.getElementById("repl3").firstChild.nodeValue=timed_text3 + "
> Done.";
> }
> function replace4() {
> timed_text4 = document.getElementById("repl4").firstChild.nodeValue;
> document.getElementById("repl4").firstChild.nodeValue="Complete.";
> }
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>
>
> </HEAD>
>
> <BODY onLOAD="timeout()">
>
> <DIV id="repl">Adding client to database... </DIV>
> <DIV id="repl2">Configuring clients account... </DIV>
> <DIV id="repl3">Sending client welcome letter... </DIV>
> <DIV id="repl4">&nbsp;</DIV>
>
> --- end code ---
>
> I know this method is horid and the code is....  ya. But I'm just trying
> to see if i can do it before i work really hard on it, then I'll fix the
> code, so please don't make comments regarding the crappy code.
>
> Anyhow, as you can see, I want the page to display "Adding client to
> database..."  then wait a few seconds while the php script runs the
> function 'fnc_addClient', after it's done io want the page to display
> "Done" so it would show:
> Adding client to database....  Done
>
> Any ideas how I can get this done with php? I've attempted the sleep()
> with flush() but none of that is working.

either you use an 'ajax' technique (_maybe_ a little bit more than you
can chew right now.)

OR you just do something a bit like:

<?php

include 'your/global/inc/file.php';

function get_fnc_res($bval) { return $bval ? 'Done' : 'Failed' }

// do security checks, etc, whatever

$r1 = fnc_addClient();
$r2 = $r1 && fnc_confClient();
$r3 = $r2 && fnc_welcomeClient();

echo '
';

?>

dont bother to show something in the browser that is fake
(i.e. by the time the timeout() function runs in the browser the
php functions have long done there work - in fact it's quite possible
the sent email is received before the page is fully downloaded.)