At 8:18 AM -0700 11/15/06, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
   I have files that are named in the following manner:

   file.####.jpg (where #### is an hhmm timestamp [hour and minutes])

What's the best way to take the current hhmm timestamp and run backwards finding the previous 5 files, and checking whether they actually exist? There's a possibility one or more might not exist and rather than returning a blank value, I want to continue further back till I find the next.

   So for example, say I have:

   file 1122.jpg
   file 1121.jpg
   file 1119.jpg
   file 1117.jpg
   file 1116.jpg
   file 1114.jpg

My suggestion is to read all the files in the directory into an array, sort the array, and pull out the top five. That way it makes no difference if there are any gaps and you also check to see if the files do exist.

Also, at some point, you'll need to delete, and that's not a bad way to delete the older files either.

tedd
--
-------