Larry Garfield wrote:

On our new devel setup (SQL Server 2k, OpenTDS ODBC driver, Apache, PHP 5.1.6), it works fine. On their new live setup, however, (same, but again not sure of the ODBC driver) they're getting the dreaded squares or question marks or accented characters that signify a garbled smart quote. I know they're not unicode characters because Windows, the DB server, and the driver are all set to either UTF-8 or UTF-16.

I had a similar probelm before, but in my case a had to commetn out this line: AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
in my httpd.conf file for apache