hello;
I am trying to write a script to do some auto configuration of my
webserver. Part of the process involves copying some configuration files
from other places on the server to a working directory where they can be
modified.
I am running freeBSD 6.0, Apache 2.2.3, php 5.1.5
I can't seem to get the exec() command to work.
I have an external shell script called 'copy' that takes care of getting
files. script is currently set to mode 777 when run from the shell it
works perfectly.

however, in the php script

echo exec('whoami');
exec('/path/to/copy');
the only return is
'www' (the username correctly returned from whoami) also files aren't changed.
any suggestions, pointers, log files to check would be appreciated as I
have spent several hours on google, in manuals, etc. haven't tried the
ougi board, but that's about it  ;-)
tia
Ray