On Nov 30, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Jonesy wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:16:16 -0800, Kevin Murphy wrote:

I have some text that comes out of a database all in uppercase (old
IBM Mainframe that only supports uppercase characters).

I see via other followups that you have your kludge working.  *But* ,

What do you mean by "old IBM Mainframe that only supports uppercase
characters"? The EBCDIC codes X'81' > X'89' (a-i), X'91' > X'99' (j-r), and X'A2' > X'A9' (s-z) have been defined and used since probably before
you were born.  I have in front of me my first IBM Green Card (IBM
System/360 Reference Data, GX20-1703-3) from 1966 which debunks that
urban legend.

If the data in the mainframe database is all upper case, it was sloppy
programming or sloppy design that got it there.  If it _is_ stored in
the mainframe database in proper UC/lc form, then it is probably a
sloppy extraction procedure that is to blame for your input.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Yeah, that would be the problem. My website and its MySQL database are totally seperate from this data (its class schedule data). All the data in the database is uppercase and I've been told that all the data must remain as uppercase only. Why? I have no idea. Can I change that? Nope. Welcome to my world and the joys of working with governmental institutions.

So I did misspeak before. The mainframe itself probably supports UC/ lc, but whatever program is on it, or maybe its just a procedure issue (its _always_ been done this way so we _must_ continue doing it that way....). But, the data I see in my extract is all upper case and that's what I am dealing with.

--
Kevin Murphy
Webmaster: Information and Marketing Services