Nauman Akbar wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Let us consider my scenario. I am developing a XML based web service. Using
> pre PHP 5 features, I am stuck with DOM, SOAP or plain old XML parser. Too

the DOM extension is php5 only! it replaces DOMXML.

again the SOAP extension (very nice it is too) is php5 only. (in php4 you
were stuck with doing the SOAP by hand (or using someone's userland
implementation)

> cumbersome - eh.
>
> I specifically upgraded my server to PHP 5 to make use of SimpleXML. I am

I found DOM to be easier to use than SimpleXML (but that was due to the
fact that it was impossible to inspect the structure/content of SimpleXML
objects
using var_dump(), print_r(), etc - I believe this has since been fixed
satisfactorily)

> sure there are many other packages that are only supported on PHP 5 and are
> quite useful.

indeed! ...

http://php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php
http://php.net/manual/en/ref.stream.php (exists in php4.3+ but
improved/extended in php5)
http://php.net/manual/en/migration5.functions.php
http://php.net/manual/en/ref.mysqli.php (for connecting to mysql4.1+)

> I presume that is a good enough reason :). Forget about OOP and exceptions.

while I agree that exceptions don't really offer anything that couldn't be done
with 'std' error handling - it does offer an alternative which some people
might prefer ...
having the choice is nice in and of itself.

I wouldn't recommend forgetting OOP - the OO functionality in php5 is an
improvement
in terms of proper ctors, PPP, 'overloading', and that objects are always by
reference (and not by value
as in php4) - allround I would suggest php5's OO model is a big step forward
even though it
entails that you will have to be a bit more strict with regard to how you write
you OO code.

        http://php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.php

obviously choosing OO over procedural style, or vice versa is a question of
taste
(I use both depending on the needs, time of month, my mood :-)