Hi again,

Just wandering if someone could help me on this one- I'm quite anxious to get something together. As I said in the last email I just want to use ob_start("ob_gzhandler") but it doesn't seem to work with the error function. I think it might be something to do with not being allowed within a 'callback function'- well that's what it says on the php manual. The thing is I'm not sure what that means, I find that section not particularly clear. Please can someone help!

IG wrote:
Hi,

I include a php file at the beginning of every web page in this site. This include file has an error handling function and starts output buffering...

// Start of Error Handler
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
ini_set('log_errors','1');

function ErrHandler($err,$err_string='',$err_file,$err_line)
   {
       // Do error logging thang

       ob_end_clean();// Clear buffer
include('/path/incs/errors/errors.inc');// Output friendly error page
       exit();
} set_error_handler('ErrHandler');

// End of Error Handler

It works great and the error handler kicks in if there is an error on the page and outputs a friendly page instead. I really wanted to gzip the pages by using ob_start("ob_gzhandler") but it doesn't work. I think it is because of the error handler function trying to clear the buffer (see the line ob_end_clean() which I assume becomes ob_end_clean("ob_gzhandler") ). It says on the php functions page- *ob_start()* may not be called from a callback function. If you call them from callback function, the behavior is undefined. If you would like to delete the contents of a buffer, return "" (a null string) from callback function.

As I am new to this- I don't really understand what it is trying to get at. Is there a way of me using my error handler and evoking the ob_start("ob_gzhandler") ?

Thanks.

Ianob_

|ob_start("ob_gzhandler");|