# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-01-03 15:48:31 -0600:
> On Wed, January 3, 2007 2:52 pm, Philip Thompson wrote:
> > I have a form where a user can upload different types of documents. A
> > valid file type they will be able to upload is a Word Document.
> > However, when I view the $_FILES 'type' of a word document in Internet
> > Explorer, it says it's type 'application/octet-stream' instead of
> > 'application/msword' or 'application/vnd.ms-word'. It works fine in
> > Firefox and Safari.
> >
> > Any ideas why IE does this and/or how I might be able to get around
> > this?
>
> IE does this because MS is not interested in interoperability.

Back this statements with some references, will you?

> Note that application/octet-stream is valid for any kind of document
> whatsoever for an upload.  For output, that would require the browser
> to download the document rather than attempt to display it.  More on
> that here:
> http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/

To the OP: read that rant for amusement, but don't use the "advice"
rlynch gives, it's nonsense. If you don't believe me, check the RFCs
yourself.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=116626545820302&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=116649130605303&w=2

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.