I haven't ever seen file() work that way.  Are you sure this isn't a
simple case of the web browser collapsing whitespace when displaying an
HTML page?  (Hint: "view source" is your friend when you're wanting to
see exactly what the output of your script was.)

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger