Al wrote:
> I've got a website on a virtual-host, Apache/Linux system running php
> scripts.
>
> I particular, I've designed a CMS where designated individuals compose
> and edit text in an html textarea, and then save the raw text in files.
> Custom [i.e., proxie] tags are used for emphasizing and the formating
> text [e.g., <red>Red Text</red>]. The raw text is converted to W3C
> compliant, html code for user rendering. When processing the text, I
> remove all php start codes [<? <?php, etc.] from the text, though it's
> not obvious to me how the text can be executed when it's treated as pure
> text sent to the client.
>
> Now the question.  Does anyone see an obvious security hole?

if you don't strip out stuff like '<script> evil haxor code here; </script>'
then that's one thing that can bite.

it's hard to say what holes there may be without seeing the code
that does the conversion from 'raw text' to 'html' .

another security issue is whether anyone could overwrite existing 'content'
text files on the server - only your CMS should have write access to these.

any php code in the files can't be run at all *unless* your using include
on the given text files or your running the content of the text files through
eval()