True, there's rarely One True Answer.  That's one reason why there is no
clear-cut definition of "Expert".  However, there are frequently better or
worse solutions to a problem.  It's easier to pinpoint when someone is not
going with the grain of the language than when they are.

For instance, considering the global namespace to be a good interface between
system components disqualifies someone from the expert title, IMO. :-)  (Yes,
I've had to clean up after that.)  Using arrays but never actually using
associative arrays is another "against the grain" issue in PHP (whereas in
other languages associative arrays are not as dead-easy as in PHP, so they're
a wrong answer more often).  That doesn't automatically mean that using
associative arrays and not using the global namespace make someone an expert,
of course, it's just an indication that they don't not know what they're
doing.

Jefferson