At 1/24/2007 01:44 PM, Otto Wyss wrote:
I'd like to make my pages multi lingual, showing everything in the language the user chooses. My pages show mostly static text. So what's the usual implementation for this case.

This is a vast subject that deserves general study. I recommend that you goggle PHP MULTILINGUAL for many resources, and check out these articles:

W3C Web Internationalization Articles
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/

Internationalization Best Practices: Specifying Language in XHTML & HTML Content
http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/

At this early point in your learning, your question seems too general for a PHP listserve, although PHP makes a fine programming language for international websites, e.g.:
http://php.net/setlocale

I implement multilingual pages in two ways:

1) Switching language downloads a new version of the current page, generally with the same markup but new text. Example:
http://partcon.ca/

2) Downloading all languages in the same page, hiding all but one with CSS and revealing other immediately when the language toggle is activated. Example:
http://laurietobyedison.com/WOJwords.asp?lang=JP

In both cases I store the text in database tables that contain a language field I can select on to match the user's request.

Regards,

Paul