Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there any similar way to package PHP software as Java with a jar file or
> similar? I have never seen it, because then would probably Smarty for
> example be packaged already :-) This question came out of the blue when I
> was thinking about how to deliver some plugins to a customer.

The only live example of a php jar (phar) is bundled with PHP newer than
PHP 5.1.0, and you can see it at http://pear.php.net/go-pear.phar or
http://pear.php.net/install-pear-nozlib.phar.  These packages were
created using the PHP_Archive package at
http://pear.php.net/PHP_Archive.  There is also an unrelated project
that calls itself PHK that claims to have more features, but I have not
tried it.

Although PHP_Archive-based phars work, I've been working with Marcus
Boerger on the native PHP extension Phar (http://pecl.php.net/phar)
which will allow far more flexibility and power as well as performance.
 However, any software that relies upon include_path needs to be
modified to work with phar, which can be a royal pain, depending on how
it was designed initially.  The best example of the packaging script
that might be necessary is at
http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/pear-core/make-gopear-phar.php

Greg