At 6:48 PM -0700 1/24/07, John Meyer wrote:
If we want to argue about this, let's set a few guidelines as to what
"powerful" means.  I propose these guidelines

1. Syntax highlighting
2. Web server integration
3. Link checking
4. Browser check in the top three (Mozilla-IE-Opera)

Now maybe you disagree, maybe you agree.  I'd love to just use vi and
type away, but quite frankly I'm not that smart.  And if you have your
own guidelines, let's hear them.

I'm not that smart either, but probably more so than you.  ;-)

I use GoLive for the Mac for all my html, javascript, ajax, dom scripting, php, and mysql development. It has a bunch of WYSIWYG junk that I seldom use.

But, it gives me: a great editor (syntax coloring throughout the different languages); allows me to develop real-time on the web (virtual host stuff); with universal link checking (i.e, change one, it changes the rest); excellent search and replace features; and an on-line/off-line directory structure that makes it very easy to update files to/from my server. Plus, it allows me to edit files via their parent application (i.e., Photoshop, GIF editor, Flash, whatever) while using GoLive.

As far as Browsers, GoLive can launch any Mac browser, but not IE -- there is no IE for Mac, other than IE5.2. As such, I use BrowserCam to check for layouts and I think that's a better way to check for css differences between browsers. I never observe any php/mysql differences.

The layout allows me to set-up my defaults to the way I want thing to be from what the doctypes my files are to be saved as to the way and type of helper windows I want.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------