[snip]
I would like to have a class instance be the property of another
class, like can be done in other languages. For example: I would like
to have a "Connections" class which contains all of the database
connection logic and query results. There are advantages to having
this type of utility class be local to a data or business class. (I
know that I could have a generic "include" with functions outside of
the class hierarchy.)

So, in the __construct method of a business or data class, for
example, one could:

include_once("connection_classes.kbk");
$this->connection_class = new connection_class;

This syntax fails, so I know this isn't right, but I hope you get the
idea.

Can it be done?
[/snip]

Extends?

class new_connection extends connection {}