Ops!, Better this one:

        $query = "SELECT inf_member WHERE user_id='$user_id' ";
        $result = mysql_query($query);
        if ( ! $result ) {
                die ("Could not perform query $query: ".mysql_error()."\n");
        }

I did copy and paste from my own code and you've not $query defined on
your one. I prefer to store first the query on a string to show it
complete if there's an error late, because it may show also the point.