Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:00 +0100, Keryx Web wrote:
>> Eric Gorr skrev:
>>> I haven't tracked this particular issue, but I know when PHP5 was first
>>> released is wasn't recommended in a commercial/production environment.
>>> However, a lot of time has passed and we're at v5.2 now...have things
>>> changed? Have Google&Yahoo, for example, moved to PHP5? Or is PHP4 still
>>> the recommendation for such environments?
>> My two cents: Any modern PHP-app should use prepared statements for
>> efficiency and security. PEAR-DB and some other PHP 4 workable
>> abstraction layers can emulate this, but it's only in PHP 5 you get the
>> real thing, with mysqli or PDO, or a PHP class that's built on top of
>> such an interface.
>>
>> To me, that's the must have feature of PHP 5 I can't be without. Nor do
>> I think one could call him-/herself professional still doing old school
>> mysql-interface calls to the DBMS.
>
> I sincerely question the competence of someone who advocates a one size
> fits all approach to programming. There are many reasons why a developer
> may work with the old-school interface calls. For instance they may be
> supporting an old school application. They might be writing their own
> abstract layer. They might be optimizing an extremely loaded system
> whereby explicitly using the API calls improves speed. Prepared
> statements only improve speed when making multiple queries to the
> database having the same format. They slow things down when making
> unique queries. Any developer worth his salt doesn't need prepared
> statements to improve security, and assuming prepared statements will
> protect you is silly since they cannot protect against everything. A
> professional knows when to use any given approach given the environment
> and requirements.

you forgot to mention the firebird users - who have the choice of using
the 'old-school' interface (with all the kick-ass parameterized queries
functionality
that's actually part of firebird itself, etc) or use the PDO equivelant which
is:

a, pretty much broken for firebird.
b, emulates the superior functionality of the firebird database at the php
level.

just my 2 old-school db calls. :-)