On Tue, February 6, 2007 4:01 pm, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-02-05 18:09:21 -0600:
>> GET args can be truncated at some number, if the server does not
>> want
>> to allow longer args.  I believe the minimum compliant limit is 1024
>> bytes.

I may well have been remembering HTTP/1.0 or even 0.9 or lower specs.
Circa 1995, I suppose...

Sorry.

That said, I cannot find the exact section I was thinking of from any
HTTP spec online, where HTTP implementations were enouraged to make
the GET/POST limits as high as practical, but they could not be lower
than 1024? for GET and 4096? for POST to be compliant.  Maybe I'm even
remembering some ephemeral draft or something...

I did find this fairly quickly:

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/what-is-the-limit-on-querystring/get/url-parameters.html

So even if the server doesn't limit the URL length, SGML, a superset
of HTML, does limit it in the actual HREF, according to that one.

Utlimately, the specs aren't really all that relevant, since the
original poster probably is hitting a limit, whether it's a compliant
server or not.

I'd love every server to be in spec, but that's not quite the real
world we live in, unfortunately.

The document you referenced recommends not exceeding 255 characters,
for that very reason -- broken proxy servers.

Some day I'll find the dang document I'm always remembering when this
issue crops up...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?