Stephen wrote:
I am finding that notepad is lacking when correcting syntax errors in my php
code. No line numbers.

What can people recommend for use under Windows?

Thanks
Stephen

I've recommended this before, Programmer's File Editor. I never leave home without it and have been using it for years. It's free, though no longer being developed, and while it doesn't do text highlighting, etc. it does have many features needed by programmers, like line numbers, matching braces and parenthesis, automatic indenting based on your own style, code execution, creating macros, and it can be highly customized for individual use. It will not, however, find syntax errors.