I think you meant to send this to the OP not me. And please also include the list in your replies.

Tijnema ! wrote:
The best way is using a HTML form, and then adding a javascript ,that runs before submitting, that encrypts the password with md5.

This offers little more security than plain text. Your "encryption" mechanism is visible to the "bad guys", so all you've done is added an extra no-brainer hurdle for them to get over.

At the end of the day the best way to secure data being transferred from client to server is to use SSL.

-Stut

On 3/4/07, *Stut* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Ryan A wrote:
     > Quick question, one of our sites already uses BASIC_AUTH to take
    the username and pass from clients, we were thinking of instead
    doing it via a login form (so we can also add a CAPTCHA later...if
    needed)

     > what I would like to know is, by using a login form instead of a
    BASIC_AUTH are we comprimising security in any way (for example if
    someone is using a "sniffer") or does BASIC_AUTH have some kind of
    extra inbuilt security that forms dont have that I am not aware of?

    Basic authentication offers no more security than a form - the login
    details are sent as plain text using both methods.

    -Stut