Ryan A wrote:
I have a login/password file with these kind of  values:
user1:pass1
user2:pass2
cat:dog
love:hate

I have  opened the file and put it into an array with this code:
(thanks to richard lynch from this list for idea and code snippets)

$file =  file_get_contents('a.htpasswd');
preg_match_all('/(.*):(.*)$/msU', $file,  $htpassd);

but how do I get it into this format  :

$users['username'] = 'password'

without using a loop? I was  thinking something like array_flip or
array_splice??
(The reason I dont want to use a loop (for,while) is there can be thousands of
user:pass combos in the files and thousands of logins and attempted logins a
day)

My advice would be to swap to using a database. With that number of users it's going to give you a huge boost in performance. SQLite would do.

If you *need* to stick to using the file, are you looking for a particular username or just want to load the whole list?

-Stut