On 3/23/07, Jim Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rahul Sitaram Johari wrote:
> Ave,
>
> I¹m not sure if anyone here is going to be able to help, but I¹ve run into a
> permissions snag.
> I have Apache Web Server running on Mac OS X with PHP. I have a folder on a
> windows machine mounted on my Mac OS X as a share using the ³mount ­t smbfs
> //[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ShareName Share².
> The ³user² has full read-write permission and physically I¹m able to do
> anything I want sitting on my Mac OS X in this share, like create, delete or
> modify files.
>
> The problem is, I don¹t think Apache Web Server (or PHP) has write access on
> this share. In PHP, I¹m able to read data from files on this share, but I¹m
> not able to write  data to any file on that share. I get access is denied.
>
> Is there anyway through PHP to give Apache or PHP write access to the files
> on this share?
> I don¹t see how I can provide Apache Web Server (installed on my Mac) Write
> Access through the Windows System that has the original folder. Windows is
> only able to provide the Mac User with Permissions, not Apache.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rahul Sitaram Johari
> CEO, Twenty Four Seventy Nine Inc.
>
> W: http://www.rahulsjohari.com
> E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ³I morti non sono piu soli ... The dead are no longer lonely²

you could always change apache to run as the user/group that the mount
is set to.

Sorry you had to spend 6 hours hunting down a 2 second fix.  Not sure
why no one else suggested this.  If it is a local copy of Apache and not
used by anybody else, who cares about what permissions it runs as.

Jim

Running apache as root is quite hard... He was mounting his shares as
root so then apache would need to run as root. And that probably
requires recompiling of Apache. And i provided a quite secure way to
fix, but Mac OS X didn't understand that.

Tijnema