-----Message d'origine-----
De : Tijnema ! [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoyé : vendredi 23 mars 2007 16:26
À : Dwayne Heronimo
Cc : php-general@lists.php.net
Objet : Re: [PHP] preview string with strlen PHP (help)

On 3/23/07, Dwayne Heronimo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am very new to programming. I want to make a preview text that would
> display only a part of the text that is a text field in a database.
>
> //Begin Make preview string
>
>  $minitxt = $row_show_cat['text'];
>  $len = strlen($minitxt);
>
>  if ($len > 235)
>  {
>  $len = 235;
>  }
>  else
>  {
>  $len = $len;
>  }
>
>  $newstring = substr($minitxt,0,$len);
>
>  $previewtext = $newstring;
>
> //End Make preview string
>
> But if I want to display this somewhere in the page it will only display the
> first record of at every text column row <?php echo $previewstext ?>
>
> Althought I am very new to php and programming. I thought maybe I should
> rewrite it into a function. But my function won't work.
>

> function previewString($showcatvar) {
>
>  $minitxt = $showcatvar;
>  $len = strlen($minitxt);
>
>  if ($len > 235)
>  {
>  $len = 235;
>  }
>  else
>  {
>  $len = $len;
>  }
>
>  $newstring = substr($minitxt,0,$len);
>
>  $previewtext = $newstring;
>
>  $previewtext = $whowcatvar;
>
> }
>

> and to display it in the page:
>
> <?php echo  previewString($row_show_cat['text']) ?>
>
> IT displays notthing. But I think I am doing somthing wrong. I am assigning
> the wrong variables to the $row_show_cat['text']) ???
>
> Please let me know

I'm currently not sure why your first piece of code isn't working, but
the second is quite simple. You aren't returning any variable in your
function, and so it won't output anything. Add the following:
return $previewtext;
Just before the }

Then it will return something, but i think not what you wanted to :(

The first piece of code isn't working cause : $previewtext != $previewstext
Tijnema