On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Jake McHenry wrote:

On Fri, March 23, 2007 10:57 am, Markus Fischer wrote:
I'm searching for a high quality image resizing facility to be used
within PHP in an Unix/Linux environment.

Probably everyone will now answer: imagecopyresampled()

However, the quality of that functionality doesn't match the
expectations of our designers. I've done my tests with
PHP4 and GD
lib
2.0.33 and everything produces with them got rejected so far. I was
also
going through the comments on php.net regarding self-written
Bicubical
algorithm functions, yet their outcome didn't match.

My next step was to try ImageMagick. The quality is much
better when
using the 'mogrify' tool from this package, yet not good enough
for my
designers.

Of course, their expectations are very high because of their daily
usage
of Photoshop. During my research I was running over
http://resizr.lord-lance.com/ which uses an commercial Windows
library.
Using a commercial package would be completely fine for
me, however I
just haven't found anything, thus this message.

Whether the tool is a PHP library or just an ordinary Unix command
doesn't matter, as long as it is usable from within PHP.

What are their expectations and what is the use for the final output?

Also, what are they saying is wrong with the files? (I'm guessing
they are to 'fuzzy', that's the main gripe I have with GD. But it
doesn't stop me from using it to resize images for a web
page, unless
you're resizing large images with text down to a 'usable' size.)

Are they just being 'designers' and nothing is going to be good
enough but photoshop?

Maybe PHP/Unix isn't the way to go?

Ed

Yea.. Go mac if you want the best for pics :) and its still unix :))))

That's the only reason I'm on a mac... instead of linux like I'd rather be.

If you don't *have* to be using php/unix, there are some nice hooks into photoshop either through javascript, applescript or (at least with ps7 years ago) vb.net. I've done some automation through that before and had very good results resizing and archiving images for a professional photo lab. Maybe a web service into a mac box with photoshop? Really depends on what you're trying to do and what your setup is.

Ed